[rollei_list] Re: Double Rolleiflex stereo camera

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 22:44:11 -0500

At 07:39 PM 10/3/2012, Carlos wrote:
Don:
Dr. Hans Hass realized that a TLR with uninterrupted ground glass viewing would be very useful for underwater photography and convinced Reinhold Heidecke in 1951 about to build an underwater housing for the Rolleiflex, a technical team was formed for the purpose and Hass worked with this team to design the first Rolleimarin in 1953, Heidecke liked the results very much and gave instructions to Richard Weiss to build an underwater stereo camera (Heidecke was stereo cameras fan in spite of the market lack of interest for these cameras in the '50s), the old models were not suitable as underwater cameras and then the TLR Stereo camera was built. Three prototypes were made and the three units had its Rolleimarin, the stereo camera Rolleimarin was based in the Rolleimarin 1 design, however adapted for the stereo camera different controls and size, the design was ready in 1954, and then the regular Rolleimarin and the stereo camera Rolleimarin were developed almost simultaneously and they look similar externally.

Carlos

Thanks for the history. The Rolleimarin is a superb piece of engineering and design but with my advancing age I no longer dive, so the camera and housing are, for now anyhow, just mementoes. One of my regrets is that I missed a meeting of the Historical Diving Society in Santa Barbara during which Dr. Has signed some Rolleimarins.

If you haven't used a Rolleimarin you may not know that there is one undesirable feature. When you use the optical viewfinder your view is in the wrong direction when you are tracking a moving subject. We never notice this in normal use but underwater it's a bother, especially when focusing on close up subjects. A pentaprism would be the answer but the reality is that would make the housing too large and expensive- it already weighs 13 pounds in air. (I just grabbed my 3.5F and sure enough, the reversed image works just fine topside. You just get used to it.)

I once had a job in which we used precision glass prisms for surveying distance measuring. I actually let the prism vendor take my housing with the notion that he would make a pentaprism for me. Fortunately, before he got very far I stopped the project because he would have had to cut and weld the housing.

I have made only one modification to my housing- I made the internal winding crank wider by adding a composite plastic piece to it. Otherwise the crank is driven by a narrow aluminum arm. I do know that one company in California used to re-work housings to use O-ring seals but the cup seals, for which I bought spares, worked well for me. They also designed a connector to handle the high voltage for strobes. I always used flash bulbs because of their higher light output. I made my own flash arm which had a tilt-in head with markings appropriate for various Rolleinars. When not using close-up lenses I used home-made CC-R filters which were helpful down to 20-30' in clear water. (I made duplicate filters for my light meter.)

Anyhow, more than you ever wanted to hear- I tend to do that.

Thanks Carlos for the history.

DAW