[rollei_list] Re: Do You?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:45:43 -0500

At 05:38 PM 3/15/2008 -0400, Allen wrote:
>4.  Knew about the practice, thought it disgusting, never did it,
>wouldn't now.
>
>Allen Zak
An alternative was to rub the tip on the bottom of your shoe, however
no one wears leather-soled shoes any more, not sure what a sneaker or
boat shoe would do.

I think Richard or Marc can remind us of the model number of those
early bulbs that were about the size of a current 40 watt light
bulb.  (The ones you often see on early Speed Graphics, or pictures
of Speed Graphics anyhow).  They took a lot of current to trigger,
but that was in the days before the 22.5 Volt BC packs.

I would suspect that bulb tip condition is no longer a serious issue,
and it's likely (although I haven't looked) that the flash sockets
now have a little higher pressure, and perhaps a little roughness to
cut through the oxide on the lead tip.

I strongly agree with those who say that flash bulbs will almost
always provide more light than any amateur-level strobe.  If someone
has only used strobes, try a bulb some time, you will be amazed at
the difference.

Regarding blue bulbs under water, I still stand by the comments I
made yesterday in response to a posting by Jerry.  If anyone wants to
discuss it, contact me off-list because most folks on this list
really don't care about U/W lighting.  I've been through it all, and
have reached the age (and location) where I can mostly just talk
about it, not do much of it.

DAW