[rollei_list] Re: Care of the Rolleiflex covering - Lexol

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:25:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 1:48 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Care of the Rolleiflex covering - Lexol

Thanks, Eric. I've never seen this site, but it is just the type of thing I
was thinking of. While I was in several stores today poring over all of the
labels on Meguire Leather Cleaner, Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner, Simoniz
Leather Cleaner, and Armoral Leather Cleaner, I started thinking that some
of these cleaners might turn the camera leather to soft, fluffy glove
leather (not good). Worse yet, they might dissolve the 52-year-old glue
holding the leather to the camera. Some of the paranoia probably came from
my buying a new, red FED rangefinder with all of its vinyl covering being
held on only by screws (the Russians need to start stealing some of our
classified glue technology). ;-)

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/

Any sort of dressing should be used in very small amounts. The leather is pretty thin so the stuff can soak through. BTW, this can be a real problem when treating old bellows. The outer covering is usually very thin leather, sometimes called Skiver. Too much of something like Neet's Foot Oil can soak right into the paper stiffeners and soften them. The material used traditionally for stiffeners was thick Manila card stock, similar to the stuff that used to be used for portfolios. Routine cleaning should be done by wiping off with a damp rag.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx