[rollei_list] Re: Care of the Rolleiflex covering - Lexol

  • From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 15:26:52 -0500

It took some looking, but I finally found a bottle of Lexol in a Pep Boys in
Kenner, LA. There was none to be found at WalMart or Kmart. Kmart had no
leather care products at all other than shoe polish, not even in the auto
supply area.

I don't need it, but was wondering if there are any aftermarket "leather"
kits for restoring old Rolleiflexes. Like pre-cut leather or vinyl that you
can glue on where the old leather was. Several years ago, I remember seeing
a guy on the Internet who had some of that kind of stuff for rangefinders.
There are a LOT of "ugly" Rolleiflexes on E-*** and at KEH. While I've seen
a lot of ugly Leica M2's and M3's that work perfectly, I've always shyed
away from beater Rolleiflexes.

Sorry about all of the questions, guys. I'm really more of a 35mm person
(although I've had two Yashica TLR's and one Mamiya C330). I saw my first
Rolleiflex in Nelson Camera back in 1966 (I think it had "Honeywell" on it,
like my first Pentax from Nelson Photo), and had always wanted one. It has
taken me a while to get around to getting one ($400 seemed like a lot of
money in 1966). I am finding that it completely changes the way I *look for*
subjects compared to shooting rangefinders.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/