[rollei_list] Re: Care of the Rolleiflex covering - Lexol

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:47:11 -0400

At 06:25 PM 7/16/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Any sort of dressing should be used in very small
>amounts. The leather is pretty thin so the stuff can soak
>through. BTW, this can be a real problem when treating old
>bellows. The outer covering is usually very thin leather,
>sometimes called Skiver. Too much of something like Neet's
>Foot Oil can soak right into the paper stiffeners and soften
>them. The material used traditionally for stiffeners was
>thick Manila card stock, similar to the stuff that used to
>be used for portfolios. Routine cleaning should be done by
>wiping off with a damp rag.

Richard

I beleive that the conventional spelling is "Neatsfoot oil" and what an
agony it is to contemplate all those cute little Neats running around on
their uncharacteristically short legs after having their ultimate digits
chopped off for processing.  <sigh>  Life is, indeed, a tough and nasty
business, is it not?  After all, Beef is what America has for dinner, and
how many of us have ever killed a cow?  (My son-in-law was here this
weekend, and he wouldn't have a moral qualm about doing so, nor would my
wife.  Farm people, and I am a butcher's grandson.)

Neatsfoot oil is grand stuff.  When you are headed for a week's fishing in
the North Woods, you dose your boots with it frequently before you depart.
The boots will no longer be capable of taking a shine, but they will not
mind being soaked with water while you haul your canoe over the shallows.
Great stuff, and recommended!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!