[rollei_list] Re: Bright Screens

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 22:13:17 +0000 (GMT)

This is a wonderful summary in a complex area where opinions are divided. As a group I would expect our powers of observation to be particularly good, hence the diversity of opinion indicates to me that there may be something deeper going on here than just a subjective diversity of opinion. I'm trying to think of some optical reason why one type of screen could suit some users better than others.
The factors I'm coming up with are in order of significance:
Ability to close focus
Maximum pupil diameter, as it affects the depth of field available for the eye to accommodate.
After these two I find myself considering usage patterns which might affect users perceptions of utility.
Here again  I list these in my perceived order of importance:
Preferred viewing distance i.e with magnifying lens up to the eye or truly at waist level.
The relative importance of center and peripheral image areas,
A users knowledge of and customary use of auxiliary features such as micro prisms, or grid lines for aligning the image.

Has any one any further thoughts on this or data to add?

All the best

Laurence Cuffe

On Jan 03, 2012, at 04:08 PM, CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2012/1/3 Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
... In any case, my
> question was about the Rolleiclear screen (which AFAIK was one of the first,
> if not THE first, bright screens) rather than the Rolleigrid (which is an
> overlay placed on top earlier screens).Do you (or does anyone else) know how
> that screen compares to the Maxwell, or other more modern bright screens?

"Rolleiclear" were called the Rollei focusing screens manufactured
from 1958 combining GG and Fresnel lens features in the same screen
for the first time, these screens were brighter than the GG screens
and the difference was very perceptible at the image corners
specially. Some of these screens were manufactured up to about
1984-1987 for the TLR and SL 66 and SLX and earlier 6000 mainly among
other Rollei camera models, some new "Rolleiclear" type screens were
manufactured from 1966 coinciding with the SL 66 production. From
about 1987/1988 Rollei manufactured a new focusing screens generation
for the 6000 cameras, SL 66, GX and 3000 cameras, they were brighter
than the "Rolleiclear" screens keeping the focusing ease, the series
included a special Super-Bright focusing screen, it was replaced by
the current Rollei High D- Screen from 1996.
The name "Rolleiclear" is used now for a dedicated focusing screen for
the 6008 and Hy6 cameras, it is a 100% clean screen without lines and
without marks and without focusing aids.

If you did not follow the very recent thread about the focusing
screens, you can easily find via Google or directly, old discussions
on the topic in the old RUG archives and in our current Rollei List
files in the web, you could read that the opinions on the topic were
so different and contradictories in 2001 or 2006 like in the recent
thread, while the users agree the Maxwell type screens are brighter
than the originals (talking about the TLR mainly), opinions are
divided about the focusing ease, some users preferred the originals
returning to them for their cameras, others users are satisfied with
the Maxwell type screens and a few other users say the Maxwell screens
are so terrific, so outstanding that they couldn't be compared wth
other focusing screens including the originals.
I can't give an opinion about the Maxwell screens because I never used
one, I only can say I work very comfortable with the original Rollei
focusing screens, the "Rolleiclear" work fin even for poor light in
the 3.5F and SL66, the image center is bright for the 2.8C and 'cord
IV GG and I have the Rolleimeter for the 2.8C for very poor light.