[rollei_list] Re: Bright Screens

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 07:19:00 -0800

Thank you Richard for this thorough explanation of pitfalls in the quest for
sharpness.

Focus shift is even more a problem now that digital sensors (perfect 'film
flatness') reveal small lens disparities.  Leica recently re-designed the 35mm
Summilux because it had earned a bad rap for focus shift.  Sean Reid, on the
best website for review of lenses for Leica, now tests all lenses for focus
shift.  Several of the Cosina Voigtlander lenses in Leica mount have done
poorly in this respect.

One hears that Tessars can resolve as well as Planars if stopped down to f8.
No doubt this is where DOF overcomes Tessar focus shift.

Fortunately for photographers, absolute sharpness isn't the only value in a
lens.  Other aspects of how a lens 'draws' or renders can be more important
than how well it reveals pores & beard hairs.

Kirk