[rollei_list] Re: Biometar

  • From: Mike Kovacs <mskovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:06:45 -0400

I have a Praktisix II with the CZJ 80/2.8 Biometar T lens as well.

I don't have all the lens diagrams handy, but the Biometar is similar in design and performance to the Planar and Xenotar lenses. In fact, the CZJ Biometar was offered on the short-lived Rolleiflex 2.8B which was a relatively rare model produced for export.

I don't understand what you mean by your "no future" comment. Its a decent camera, and in my experience much more reliable than the later Pentacon Six cameras which sacrificed reliability for 220 capability. It takes a great many Pentacon Six mount lenses out there, both from CZJ and Soviet makers. The Flektogon 50mm is a nice lens, and the Sonnar 180/2.8 is a fantastic lens, one I would dream to get in Rolleiflex SL66 mount!

In terms of theoretical performance, I'd rank the cameras you mention Super Ikonta < Rolleiflex 2.8A < Praktisix Biometar. Assuming all are in proper working order, calibration and you are not getting mirror shake in the SLR.

Peter J Nebergall wrote:
I have a Praktisix, 80mm 2.8 Biometar.  Finally got it sorted, and the
work I am getting is incredible.  This is the first time any 6x6 I have
is beating my Super Ikonta's 2.8 Tessar.

I think someone on the list said the Biometar was a Xenotar clone?  I'm
getting results an order of magnitude up from anything previous -- and,
recognizing there's no real future in the Praktisix, do I hunt up a
Rollei 2.8A?
What can I do to keep getting these results?

Peter Nebergall