[rollei_list] Re: Biometar

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:39:10 -0400

At 08:55 AM 4/16/2008, Peter J Nebergall wrote:
>I have a Praktisix, 80mm 2.8 Biometar.  Finally got it sorted, and the
>work I am getting is incredible.  This is the first time any 6x6 I have
>is beating my Super Ikonta's 2.8 Tessar.
>
>I think someone on the list said the Biometar was a Xenotar clone?  I'm
>getting results an order of magnitude up from anything previous -- and,
>recognizing there's no real future in the Praktisix, do I hunt up a
>Rollei 2.8A?
>
>What can I do to keep getting these results?

The Praktisix is unkillable: like all of the Leica RF's to the M4-2, it is completey mechanical and it can always be repaired by a capable craftsman who can make broken parts: Ken Ruth at Bald Muontain is one such.

The 2.8/80 CZJ Biometar is an outstanding lens and is essentially identical to the 2.8/80 CZ Planar used by Hasselblad: the design was shared by CZJ and CZ and it was in process when Hans Sauer left Jena for Oberkochen, and so the Courts ruled that the design was shared, but not the name, "Planar" passing to the West German company.

The 2.8/8cm CZJ Tessar and the 2.8/80 CZ Tessar used on the Super Ikontas was not a really spectacular performer: it was a front-cell focusing design, which requires compromises in optical quality. It was an outstanding lens and I still use my two Prewar B's today, but for critical work you need a 3.5/7.5cm CZJ Tessar as used on the Rolleiflex Automat. And the 2.8/80 Biometar or Planar are another level above in optical performance, despite being hampered by being used on a medium-format SLR with all of the drawbacks such a design entails.

There never was a Rolleiflex 2.8A: there was a Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR, followed by the 2.8B und so weiter. The Biometar used in the 2.8B is of a different design from that used on the Praktisix, as the 2.8/80 Planar used on the 2.8C and its successors was of a different design from the 2.8/80 Planar used on the Hasselblad and on the Rollei MF SLR's.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!