[rollei_list] Re: Austin has Unsubscribed

  • From: TrueBadger@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:49:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/2005 3:31:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Hi Mark,
> I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am an engineer and I
> learned if theory and practice disagree it is the theory that is wrong
> :-)

This is wrong on so many levels that one hardly knows where to begin.  To the
contrary, when a well-established theory seems to be violated by practical
results, it usually means that the "engineer" applied either the theory or the
practice incorrectly to begin with, and very likely really understands neither.

There are situations, such as in high frequency work where the theory cannot
take into account any number of physical considerations resulting from
implementation, but insofar as theory can adequately describe the situation,
it's
generally more reliable than the hodge-podge of methodology we term "practice".

One example that I recall is when a technician reported that the inductance
of a coil he had been instructed to wind and test increased when turns of wire
were removed. .. I said "So then if you take all the turns off the inductance
will be maximized?"

Needless to say, theory prevailed.

G. King