[rollei_list] Re: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format" (was: Austin has Unsubscribed)

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:13:11 -0400

On Tuesday, April 19, 2005, at 04:50  AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> [T]he advantage of 4x5 over medium format is [that] 4x5 has amazing
> creamy smooth high tones. Highlights.
> The lighter tones are thicker and more solid.
> That's the only way I can describe them.
> Better than medium format and much better than 35mm.
> Crispy as the small format stuff is.
> It's also crunchy.

Amen.

I find that neither of my two Rolleis can touch the quality of the pics
from my Anniversary Speed Graphic, when I do manage to shoot with the
Speed Graphic. But the number of pictures I take with the Speed Graphic
is minuscule compared with the number I take with my Rolleis (and now,
even my newly-acquired Contaflex), because of the hassle involved in
using LF, especially loading the film into individual holders.

I just "won" two Grafmatic backs for the Speed Graphic on eBay, and
loaded one of them with B&W (the other has not yet arrived here), so I
hope that the situation will improve now. But the Kalart rangefinder on
the Anni is off, and will have to be fixed before I can use the Anni
hand-held. Or else another Kalart RF bought on eBay and fitted to the
Anni.

Cheers.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>