[rollei_list] Re: Austin has Unsubscribed

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:11:07 -0700

On 4/18/05 8:07 AM, "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx> typed:

> Intresting. I cannot say I remember Austin really getting to the point
> of using uncontrollable language in the various topics and off-topics
> we have discussed here.

I had given this some thought and some of it comes from Marc's use of the
word "intemperate" and I checked Austin's posts to see if he used some fowl
or semi fowl language and that did not check out.
But then I looked up the word in Onelooks dictionaries and got some of this
stuff:

=A0... having or showing a lack of self-control, especially
in expressing feelings or satisfying physical desires (of a person or their
behavior or speech) not controlled and too extreme or violent: an
intemperate outburst
intemperate language
lacking self-control. 2 characterized by excessive indulgence

So there's a whole "attitude" thing included in the use of the word.
Which I believe is covered here.
Not just a certain "choice of words".
It certainly seemed that an axe was being constantly ground.

Often it was experience flying in the face of theory.
If your hard copy "prints, slides, work" didn't agree with the "numbers"
then you were in real trouble - Austinwise.
Your real world experience was an affront to Austin's numbers.
And Austin would like you know he was affronted under no uncertain terms.
As if he felt you had affronted the status of the his universe.

Thing is - theory flies in the face of real world results a good third of
the time. Or visa versa. So the theory then has to be modified, discarded o=
put in a more narrow perspective. This just happens all the time.

If somebody is all theory and no experience/results there's going to be
continuous conflict.
This might have been it.

Mark Rabiner
Photography