[rodgersorgan] Re: Why?

  • From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:37:11 -0400

David's post is one of those that is hard to post...but it does strike at the
heart of the issue
many of us face as church musicians.

Why do we stay?

Getting hired at a church is the easy part.  The hard part is working there.
It's even more
difficult to leave.

Sounds like a marriage, no?

Musicians are hard to understand by non-musicians.  The spark that makes us
want to make music can
be hidden in the depths of us.  We have to develop many layers of protection to
keep that spark from
going out.  There is a denomination, that shall remain unnamed, that kills the
spark of organists,
and challenges the spark in choral directors. Many of you know what I mean.

Yet there is another denomination, Christian Science, which is considered to be
a black hole.
Musicians enter there never to be heard from again.  Yet once there they tend
to be very happy,
because the music is deeply  appreciated by these congregations.

Sweeping generalizations, I know.

noel jones, aago

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com