[rodgersorgan] Re: rodgersorgan Digest V2 #99

  • From: "Steven C. Olson" <scoarch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:35:43 -0500

To: "rodgersorgan digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:01 AM
Subject: rodgersorgan Digest V2 #99

> May all your bloopers be grace notes this hoiliday season! From the Staff
at FMP

> ---
> ------------------------------------
> rodgersorgan Digest Tue, 22 Apr 2003 Volume: 02  Issue: 099
>
> In This Issue:
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Mother's Day
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -
> [rodgersorgan] tech schematics Exeter 770
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Organs & Praise Bands -
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Mother's Day
> [rodgersorgan] Re: Mother's Day
> [rodgersorgan] Organs IN Praise Bands

These are the comments of my son David (music pastor at Cornerstone Church,
St. Cloud, FL, dajonole@xxxxxxxxx) in response to some of the above
postings:

Hey all -

Here's my comments on this article:

> > > The problem with "praise music" is not so much
> with the instruments or
> the
> > > style of the music, but rather the theology that
> is driving the entire
> > > contemporary music movement.  Instead of putting
> the focus on Christ and
> > > what He has done for us, this "entertainment
> music" puts the emphasis on
> > the
> > > performers and what they can do to move the
> emotions of the listeners.

This is a huge generalization that the writer
continues the rest of his article on.  I don't think
you can put that sort of lable on every contemporary
praise church or musician.  I believe that this is
true in some or even a lot of church musicians.
However, to make it a blanket statement for a style of
music overall is just not fair or biblical.  I have
never seen or heard ANYONE say that theology of
contemporary music is to focus on me.  Now, I believe
very much in the power of "classic" church music,
hymns, the organ and everything else, but unchurched
Joe and Mary don't because they have come from a
different background.  Part of my job is to take
people on spiritual journey from the church to their
home - if God can only or should primarily be
worshipped with a certain style of music, or only
certain instrumentation, we begin to put God in a box.
 I understand the writer's point about motivation and
I agree to a certain extent.  But to make a blanket
statement and continue to build an argument on it is
totally unfair.  The book of Psalms clearly talks
about every possible instrument that can be used,
should be used.  God is the giver of music.  Our taste
or preference in style and instrumentation says more
about us than it does about God.

> > > When church musicians place the emphasis on
> themselves, their choirs,
> > their
> > > instrumental groups, and their performance
> rather than on Christ, they
> are
> > > abandoning what should be the mission statement
> of every church music
> > > program: "To the glory of God, and for the
> edification of my neighbor,"
> as
> > > Bach stated in the dedication of his
> Orgelbuechlein.

I believe that last statement is the calling of the
contemporary church music scene - my neighbor is not
going to understand "O For A Thousand Tongues."  If we
were to go to a foreign language to minister to
people, we would need to learn to speak that language.
 The same is true with our society.  The danger for
the mainline church is that is has gotten so
comfortable with Christian catch phrases and cliches,
that a seeker will only take home 25 percent of what
is delivered in our church services (music and
message).  My neighbor does not own any organ music
CD's, but he has lots of contemporary music CD's.  We
can not only present the gospel to him in that
language, but encourage him to worship in that
language.  We use the contemporary choir, band, vocal
team as tools to present the gospel and lead the
believer in corperate worship.  When a gifted soloist
comes up before a congregation and sings a special
number - I believe God uses that.  The question again,
however is not in method - but in motivation.  To say
that ALL contemporary musicians/vocalists have poor
motivation is just not accurate.

 What do
> dances
> > > have to do with divine worship!?  They were
> played for entertainment,
> not
> > > spiritual edification, and certainly not for the
> glory of God.

Obviously, this statement is incorrect!  David spoke
highly of the dance as a tool in worship.  Again, the
question should not be method of worship, but
motivation.  When David returned from battle, he
stripped his clothes and danced shamelessly before the
Lord and all the other onlookers.  I would imagine
naked dancing is frowned upon in your church - I know
it is in mine - but the issue was not the method - the
issue is motivation.  I used to have people on my team
who were good musicians - but the problem was they
knew it and saw the seeker concept as a performance
not as a minstry or worship experience.  It has taken
me a long time to get some of my people to understand
that what we do is not for our own glory, but for the
glory of God - regardless of what it is.  Scripture
tells us to do EVERYTHING to the glory of God.  Even
if it means singing a secular song in church to people
to are going to get a clear message - God is glorified
through that.

I have one question - the writer talks so much about
the contemporary musician and questions their motives.
 Is it not possible that their are just as many
classic style church musicians who take the same
standpoint?  Is not the author joining them by taking
so much pride in his style of worship that he is
completely discrediting an entire genre of music that
God is using?

Which is the worse sin?  What does God think?

David

New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com