[rodgersorgan] Re: The Organ Harp

  • From: "Matt G." <caddyorganist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:00:42 -0500

You're right this does go against the rules or registration along with
mixing celestes, mixtures, and trems which I do quite frequently. I use
these type of registartrions for religious music ie hymns, southern gospel,
praise and worship. I grew up in a church where our organists were not
really "professionaly trained" in the ways of registration. My favorite of
the four of us currently playing, is where I learned most of my
registartions and technique as far as chords. I love to listen to her play,
and I love hopping on the piano and pounding out something like I'll Fly
Away with her tremulating those mix and celeste along with me. I think as
organists we follow the rules too much. Not don't get me wrong, when I sit
down to a Bach fugue in my organ lessons, I don't draw all the trems and
celestes of course not! I draw the principals and sometimes the mixtures. I
know the proper rules or registration but for the most part tend to ignore
them. I play in a Nazarene church along with a piano, a synth playing string
reductions, a bass, a guitar and drums. I could be going full tilt with mix,
and trem one minute to full organ the next. I love it! I wish you could hear
my favorite organist and then me, I think this all would make so much more
sense. As far as a hymn I would use that combo on, an example would be There
is A Fountain, with lots of color chords and maybe trem and then solo the
melody for a verse on the Swell with the Viola Pomposa 8', Spitzflote 8',
Voix Celeste II 8' and Sifflet 1'(princ.) along with Bourdon 16', Flute 8',
Nachthorn 4' in the pedal. That's my number 3 piston in memory one. Memory
two is the third main organist's and I generaly don't like it. Sorry for all
this rambling, I hope it makes sense.

Matt G.
CaddyOrganist@xxxxxxxxxxx