[rodgersorgan] Re: Organ advocate

  • From: "Noel Heinze" <noel.heinze@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:00:39 -0400

I agree with Mr. Dillon...the company that trashed the speakers etc.  should
certainly foot the repair bill.  Don't count on their insurance covering
such "willful, negligent, etc" damages, however.  Many insurance policies
are written with an escape clause to the effect that the company/policy
owner is NOT covered for stuff considered to be in the company's (or its
employees' or subcontractors') care and custody at the time the jerks poured
whatever into your whatever.  Example:  I hired an electrician to install a
fancy chandelier in my dining room.  I supplied the chandelier, having
purchased it elsewhere.  He dropped it, broke to smithereens, his boss said
no problem, insurance company will send you a check.  Nope...so the boss
tried to get the employee to pay for it...nope...so I got the local county
consumer affairs office and radio station in on the act...got a check from
the boss.

Also agree with Noel Jones about having someone (probably the organist) on
hand whenever it seems like a good idea...it's almost always a good idea,
ounce of prevention worth lots of cure, etc.  Clergypersons, committee
chairs, etc., all too often just don't know what you and I take for granted.
We must educate them.  Sometimes a second or third opinion helps, especially
if it's from someone known and/or respected.  Example:  church is getting
new organ, no place nor $ for pipes, we're going Rodgers, pastor assumes (!)
it will play through PA system, no need to worry about speakers or chambers
(!), and even when PA guru says NO WAY the pastor/music committee says well,
heh, heh, we might just have to live with it (!) and after much warfare they
concede to speakers but not chambers, since you can just put the speakers on
the floor by the console (!), meanwhile the architect and other experts are
siding with the powers-that-be since guess whose name is on their
paycheck(s) and besides, you couldn't possibly know what you're talking
about, since if you were any good or that knowledgeable you wouldn't be
here, you'd be at some cathedral or Fortune 100 company, etc.  Time to call
in the Mounties...get on the horn and get the AGO, college organists, local
or national whatever it takes, visit other installations, etc.  So you get
the chambers, all is well, then it all starts over again when they decide
they don't like the chamber grills or grill cloth, too blank, let's cover
the chamber openings with X, Y, or Z, you can always just play louder, etc.

Are you sure you want to be in this business?

Noel Heinze, Asheville, NC

Read The Comprehensive Guide to Music for the
Rodgers PR-300 at www.frogmusic.com

Includes music from Rodgers, LifeWay and Frog Music Press

go to our website at www.frogmusic.com/rodgers.html