[rodgersorgan] Re: New List Member in Utah

  • From: "Rick Vincent" <vincenri@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:39:39 -0600

Why Rodgers versus Allen. I have to be careful with this
one. First, the Allen dealer here in Utah and where I was at
in Idaho were very good dealers. I came close to buying an
Allen as a replacement but backed off after I went through
an Allen organ stop by stop and found some sound problems.

I actually built a huge spreadsheet comparing the
differences between equivalent cost Allen, and Rodgers
organs. In many areas Rodgers was better, in several Allen
was. I also looked at Church Organ Systems, Ahlborn-Galanti,
Johannus, and Viscount.

In fact, in one day in July I did a 200 mile drive so I
could sample each of the organs at each dealer. Allen and
Rodgers had better sounds than all the rest, in spite of the
fact that the American brands are often twice the cost for
equivalent stop numbers.

But in the end, I felt the Rodgers came closest to
replicating a classical pipe organ--based on my own
subjective interpretation of about 20 measurements. That
doesn't mean Rodgers is better than Allen for everyone, just
to my ears, my pocketbook, and my research.

I've found that it's often difficult to listen to dealers
rip on each other in terms of the quality of samples, etc.
You can say that a Johannus organ has the highest sample
rate per rank of any organ (except Walker), but if it isn't
voiced, amplified, and installed correctly, all of those
individual note samples won't do a bit of good.

Also, in Allen's defense, no one can doubt the quality of
their service and that they back up their product for years.

But Allen is very slow to introduce new technology. They've
made only minor annual upgrades since Renaissance was first
introduced. Although Renaissance sounds great compared to my
current Allen models, sound/computer technology made leaps
and bounds in the last five years.

I also, honestly, looked at this list and the Allen list.
This list seems to be a great community dedicated to
utilizing the Rodgers features and promoting sacred and
classical music. Allen seems to have captured many of the
theatre organ crowd with whom I don't easily identify (I'm
only 34, sorry). It seemed like I fit the mold of the
Rodgers community better than the Allen Theater Organ
Community.

So, I'm glad to be here and I'm not looking back. I will,
however, look at Allen again in ten years and see if they're
not still resting on their laurels (and an ancient MDS
Expander II!).

Rick

>>> candk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 09/17/03 19:38 PM >>>

Rick:

Havng owned two previous Allen organs, can you tell us why
you decided to s=
witch?

Thanks

KRK