[rodgersorganusers] Re: Cakewalk frustration

  • From: Ed Wilson <actionkbd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 03:53:46 -0800 (PST)

Ed,

There are several ways to shorten the notes, but my two favorites are:

1.  Select (highlight) the tracks in the track view.
2.  Select Staff View.
3.  Go to the section you want to edit with the slider button.
4.  Select the "selection" tool (the arrow).
5.  Point to the note with the cursor and left? (sorry, I use a laptop, and
there is only a "top" and a "bottom") click on the note you want to shorten.
Reduce the duration to what you want.

The second way can be used to do several (or even all) notes at a time.

1.  Same as above, except after selecting the "selection" tool, right click and
drag to make a "box" around the notes you want to shorten.

2.  Point in the vicinity of the notes, and left click.  A pop up box will
appear.  Select""Length".
Then enter the Percentage you want to shorten these by (i.e., change 4 counts
to 3, use 75%).

To delete the "hole"

1.  right click on the "measure" bar to move the timing cursor to the place
where you want things to "end up"

2.  Select "insert"

3.  select "Time/Measures"

4.  When the box appears, uncheck all but "events in track"  and check "ticks"

5.  Put in the number of ticks you want to delete (i.e., -120 = -1 quarter
note, depending on resolution) be sure to put in the "-" so things go left.

6.  Click "OK" and you are done.

Regards,

Ed

Edwin S Russell <ed_russell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 to edit a MIDI file created
on a Rodgers organ with PR-300S (and saved as SMF). I have been
able to do most of the editing that I need to do except one thing and
I do not seem to be able to find how to do what I think should be
very simple.

There are a couple of places in this piece where a chord was held
too long and it disrupts the rhythm. All I want to do is remove one
beat from one measure and shift everything that follows over to fill
the gap. That is I want to delete 24:02:000-24:03:000.

I have been able (I think) to "select" that one beat but the edit-delete
menu only seems to delete things like tempo changes, events, etc.
Doing the delete does not remove/shorten the notes.

I have tried everything I can think of -- even resorting to trying to
make
sense out of the "help" information. I think I have done what the help
stuff suggests as well but it does not remove what I want removed.

Can any of you Cakewalk experts help?

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now