[rodgersorgan] Re: Breaking the rules with mixtures.

  • From: "F. Richard Burt" <effarbee.aaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:55:26 -0600

Hello, Carlo, et al:

The Rules....

I personally found that many of the "rules" were the
persuasions of our organ teachers about how we "should"
register a certain piece of literature.

Those "rules" are what I often describe as an acquired
taste.  If you wanted to keep the good will of your
teacher, you followed "the rules" of registration,
...predominantly his/her preferences for any given
piece.

Those "rules" often crossed over into how the organ
was registered for service playing, which I think is
a gross mistake, for it assumes that certain registrations
have dignity, majesty, or certainty over others, ...and,
if the teacher was present in the meeting, you might want
to impress him/her that you paid attention to his/her
instructions.

When I grew up, I discovered that many of the "rules"
were overkill for many church service situations.  Then,
...I had to think for myself.  Putting together good
sounding registrations meant that I had to actually
listen to the organ for myself and decide what was good
and what was lacking.  Bummer.  That's work.  <grins>

I do not believe that we should ingnore classic organ
registration, but, ...PLEASE, ...may I do it myself?
...based on what I hear happening in the room, how the
people respond to the music, and how I interpret the
music?  Isn't that supposed to be part of my job?
I think so.

What liberty!!!  Go ahead, and SOAR ABOVE.  When you do,
you may find great satisfaction in breaking the "rules."

Appreciatively,
F. Richard Burt

.
*
Frog Music Press Introduces two new books:
Hymn Tune and Classical Duets for Organ and Piano (or PR-300)
----