[rodgersorgan] Re: Breaking the rules with mixtures.

  • From: "Carlo Pietroniro" <organist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 23:51:05 -0500

pardon my ignorance, but what's all this talk about "rules"? I've never met an
organist who even mentioned the word "rules" when talking about registration,
until joining several internet groups, and believe me, I've met a LOT of
organists, and here in Montreal, we have some of the world's best organs (and
some of the world's best organists to play them).

I always use the stops the way I want to use them, and I've never been told
what to do, or what NOT to do. Technically speaking, if you were to have the
right books in front of you, there are not set rules in registration; none that
are worth more than the paper they're written on that is. Anyone making up
rules governing registration, is doing 2 things.....

1) imposing their own tastes in registration, and hoping the world will think
like them.

2) attempting to smother every organists own sense of 'what works for them'.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing whatever you want when seated at
the organ. Hundreds of years ago, when Bach was alive.....can you imagine if
anyone dared telling him what stops to use and what you're "allowed" to do? Not
only would he totally disregard them, but he'd tell them where to go.

I think like Bach.

Carlo Pietroniro
St. Patrick's Basilica
Montreal, Quebec
(loving his 1895 Casavant, Opus 60)
*
Frog Music Press Introduces two new books:
Hymn Tune and Classical Duets for Organ and Piano (or PR-300)
----