[rodgersorgan] Re: 32' - soft or loud?

  • From: Topa12283@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:26:10 EST

This discussion of loud vs. soft 32' stops reminds me of perhaps the best 32'
stop I've ever played.  It is on the Aeolian Organ (rebuilt by Moller) at
Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia.  The only 32' voice on the organ, it is
simply labeled "Diapason 32" and it is a large-scale, full-length open wood
stop.  What makes it so remarkable is its ability to hold up Full Organ (over
70 ranks) with a profound resonance all throughout the auditorium, but it can
also be used very effectively under the Swell Aeolines or the Choir
Dulciana/Celeste ranks.  While most of the organ is enclosed in side
chambers, this rank is free-standing in a recessed chamber at the rear of the
stage along with the Pedal Violone and Trombone.  Even with the stage
curtains drawn, this 32' makes itself "felt" all the way to the front lobby!

I think the trick to achieving this effect with a Rodgers organ is to install
as many bass sub-woofers (speakers) as money allows.  This way, the 32'
Contra Bourdon doesn't have to be pushed in volume to ring the room
effectively - the more speakers moving air, the less volume is needed.

Tom Alderman
Roswell, GA.