[rodgersorgan] Re: 32' - soft or loud?

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:51:33 -0800

Ages ago my Rodgers dealer told me that he found opinions spread all over =
the place as to how loudly to voice the 32' Contra Bourdon. I suspect that =
people perceive the level of the bottom octave very differently. Some =
being much more sensitive to it (wanting it softer) and others being =
insensitive and wanting it set louder.=20

The Fletcher-Munson curves, which show the sound pressure level across the =
spectrum at which people perceive approximately equal volume level, are, =
after all, averages.

Anyway, if it's a 32' Contra Bourdon, I vote to voice it just loud enough =
to be detected in a fairly full combination, but leaving it soft enough to =
purr under a soft combination. This makes it very flexible in its use.

Charlie