[roc-chat] Re: The Real Threat to ROC - lack of volunteers

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ROC-Chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 12:27:48 -0700

Best time to help 'train' new people for LCO, RSO, pad manager, etc would be at
a monthly launch with few people. Lots of time for instruction, no pressure,
someone can be with you for help/advice etc. Over the years I've noticed that
those are the times when people doing those jobs don't mine doing them for long
stretches because they have times when things are slow and they can 'take a
break'. Those months should be used to instruct new people. I first 'learned'
when things were busy and the LCO wanted relief or the range would be shut
down. I got about 3 minutes instruction and then I was by myself with a new RSO
that couldn't help. I was glad an hour or two later I saw someone I could get
to take over while I took a break.  Was not an enjoyable experience. I've done
it a few times for less busy monthly launches and it is a fun thing to do. I
admit I have lots of respect for those doing it during ROC-stocks.  In specific
response to Jeff's e-mail, the last time I did LCO the group that was going to
launch a large project had talked with me about what they wanted said and even
gave me a short script on when and what to say. After about 20 minutes of
LCOing they were up and signaled me to start. Someone from ROC came up and said
they wanted the microphone, disregarded what the group had asked for and
proceeded to do their own thing with the flight card for the group. After that
launch he handed the mic back to me for me to finish out my 2 hour block. One
of the group came up and asked why it wasn't done the way they asked. Oh well.
Later on when large rockets went up and no one saw events happening above and I
was told to keep launching, I thought that was the last time I would LCO. I
still RSOed and even though I'm no longer in ROC (I only do sugar rockets and
experimental hybrids/liquids) I still will RSO if it looks busy with lots of
kids. I even do trailer cleanings when it doesn't conflict with FAR activities
because living in Oak Hills is easy for me to do. With regards to getting
something for helping out, you would be surprised at how many people would
start 'volunteering' for things. I also am/was on many 'volunteer'
organizations and we had lots of problems with keeping people on our search and
rescue team when they wanted volunteers to 'pay' dues besides buying a lot of
expensive gear and then having to give up their time (middle of the night in
nasty weather, etc). By offering 'carrots' we were able to retain people that
joined besides the 'core' of us that did most of the un-exciting work...BOD,
training, etc. You always have that group of people but you need the others to
keep the core from burning out. RickDate: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:14:02 -0700
From: indanapt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: The Real Threat to ROC - lack of volunteers
To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Feel free to hit - delete now... there are no revelations in this email...
seriously.I will say ALL clubs, every STINKIN' one of them, has a core of
people that do 85% or more of the work. Otherwise the club would not exist.
It's just the way it is. R/C Clubs, Astronomy Clubs, Rocket Clubs, etc... I've
been in a bunch. You don't become a leader in a or group for any other reason
other than the love of the club and self-satisfaction. I am on the BoD of a few
major astronomy events and I
 'get it'. It is thankless. I've gotten used to it. :)I volunteer at setup of
ROC-Stocks and (used to) LCO the crap out of them - at least I used to until I
got shoved aside by a BOD member on more than one occasion (who is not on the
board anymore). Note to to prospective leaders; if you want volunteers a bit of
praise or constructive criticism, not screwy BS about your ability to do the
job versus mine would be best. ;) So for the past few months, I quit range head
duty... sorry I was pissed. Petty and childish I know. But still...
Monthly launches, I have my 'excuses'. Namely you don't want to WAIT for me to
show up in the morning. :)
  Trust me, for years I have vowed to get up earlier and never, ever, do make
it before 8:30 - 9:30 no matter what I say. :) ;)
Not a unique idea... but I could have sworn this was done once long ago:
Volunteer to LCO, RSO, Pad Manage, setup, take down, or trailer maintenance and
you get a pass to a "ROC BOD and Volunteer only" launch. Of course it's a crap
shoot for the weather, but just think. Only 20 to 40 people with nothing but 1
or 2 days of rocket flying. Or build up a set of passes and get a free years
membership. Or a discounted one. Or one ticket in an end of year
 raffle for $50 at Whats Up Hobbies.. or.. whatever. Again I understand that
has work involved... just throwing out ideas. And yes one should volunteer for
the hell of it.
I've always suspected, tho never been proven, that the BOD already has secret
launches... after all, why else would you volunteer to fly almost *nothing*
every launch, do all the work, and then get abused for the privilege!!!!! :)
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt
"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella