[roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest Posting for Construction of Large Launch Pad

  • From: Chris J Kobel <Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 14:04:50 -0700

In our testing, we assumed the answer was yes, but we didn't try to
correlate off-axis direction vs C-slot orientation.

Chris

From: Chris Attebery <chrisattebery1971@xxxxxxxxx>
To: roc-chat <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 06/17/2015 01:42 PM
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest Posting for
Construction of Large Launch Pad
Sent by: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The 24mm motors that were tested are all c-slot type motors, right? Don't
you think that they would have asymmetric thrust like a moon burner does
due to the offset core?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Chris J Kobel <Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Dave,

I believe the thrust misalignment is from the motor itself - maybe due to
uneven burning characteristics, nozzle imperfections, uneven surface
finishes, deformations, pressure variations, what-have-you, etc - and
definitely beyond our control. That is why we believe we got different
characteristics (thrust misalignment angles) from several burns of the
same motor type in our single test stand. With the long motors and motor
mounts we were flying, I believe their alignment was more consistent than
the thrust vector provided by the motors. Long towers, larger fins,
increased stability margin, induced spin would all help reduce the
dispersion.

Chris

From: "Dave Peterson" <woshugui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 06/17/2015 10:12 AM
Construction of Large Launch Pad
Sent by: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chris,

Been thinking about your nice analysis over the last day or so. It really
makes the most sense to me for the seemingly random dispersion. It occurs
to me that a significant portion of thrust misalignment could come simply
from the the off-axis tolerance on the motor mount and the tiny amount of
space between the case and tube allowing the motor to rock side to side.
Even if the thrust on the motor itself is perfectly on axis, the placement
of the motor within the rocket is going to have an off axis vector. That
vector is going to be randomly distributed on the different rockets. Other
than tightening up the tolerances and spinning the rocket at a very high
rate coming off the tower, it doesn't deem like there is much that can be
done about it.
-Dave
From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 06/16/2015 07:08 AM
Subject: [roc-chat] Re: [roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest
Posting for Construction of Large Launch Pad
Sent by: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps there have been similar discussions on other chat groups? Seems
we have just become accustomed to rockets taking weird paths occasionally.
But there has to be a reason. Perhaps other than rocket instability or a
deflecting rail, there’s several things we could do to reduce this from
happening. Like relocating the rail buttons; perhaps it’s not even that
difficult.

For example, I’ve wondered if it would help by rotating the pads 90
degrees so the usual wind doesn’t push the rocket ‘sideways’ as it travels
down the rail. Does this make sense?

It would be nice to have some information and analysis for rockets that
have ‘weird’ liftoffs. Sometimes the answer is right there, it just takes
close attention.

Anyway, for the large launch pad on a trailer, I’m going to start with
some basic ideas and go from there. You must have a massive or well
anchored/stable pad base with a blast deflector that will not move the
base during initial thrust, and a rigid guiding structure. It would be
nice to have a launcher like the ones used for sounding rockets, but this
pad must be mobile. I need to work on the logistics a bit, because
presently my trailer storage spot is not large enough for my camper
trailer plus this new utility trailer. I’ll post back in several months
and hopefully will have some progress.