[roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest Posting for Construction of Large Launch Pad

  • From: David Smith <davew6dps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 07:10:39 -0700

If a butterfly in Brazil flaps it's wings...
On Jun 16, 2015 7:08 AM, "R Dierking" <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps there have been similar discussions on other chat groups? Seems
we have just become accustomed to rockets taking weird paths occasionally.
But there has to be a reason. Perhaps other than rocket instability or a
deflecting rail, there’s several things we could do to reduce this from
happening. Like relocating the rail buttons; perhaps it’s not even that
difficult.

For example, I’ve wondered if it would help by rotating the pads 90
degrees so the usual wind doesn’t push the rocket ‘sideways’ as it travels
down the rail. Does this make sense?

It would be nice to have some information and analysis for rockets that
have ‘weird’ liftoffs. Sometimes the answer is right there, it just takes
close attention.

Anyway, for the large launch pad on a trailer, I’m going to start with
some basic ideas and go from there. You must have a massive or well
anchored/stable pad base with a blast deflector that will not move the base
during initial thrust, and a rigid guiding structure. It would be nice to
have a launcher like the ones used for sounding rockets, but this pad must
be mobile. I need to work on the logistics a bit, because presently my
trailer storage spot is not large enough for my camper trailer plus this
new utility trailer. I’ll post back in several months and hopefully will
have some progress.