[roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest Posting for Construction of Large Launch Pad

  • From: Tom Hanan <tom.hanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 10:47:30 -0700

Splash modeling is great but its an order of magnitude better IF you close the model loop by launching a short duration version of a motor with the same initial impulse to minimize the splash window for the test launch. You need to add weight to keep "all things equal" with the lighter shorter duration motor. This is much easier to do in the amateur world with re loadable motors that allow you to include spacer or different grain formula to reduce burn time. Unfortunately the solids tend to have reduced initial thrust based upon smaller grain surface area unless the formula compensates for that. But hybrids can be light loaded to deliver short test flights.

All of this is the same thing we tell newbies. Launch with a smaller shorter duration motor first to get a feel for the airframe before you take you altitude shot! Just because its harder and more complex with laregr motors does not mean that we shouldn't be doing it! After all it is that desire to master MORE complexity that draws many of us to larger rockets with higher power.

On 6/16/2015 10:29 AM, Cliff Sojourner wrote:

You can do splash for models, for example spot landing contests.

Does anyone know, does openrocket do splash analysis?

On June 16, 2015 9:45:20 AM PDT, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So motor variability includes thrust vectoring?

Hum… all parameters varied?

OK, I’ve never done that because I haven’t even come close to
launching a high alt rocket. So, please forget my reference to
the splash analysis. Perhaps for now just keeping the topic to
the <20K’ rockets?

James, next time you do the analysis for one of your high alts,
please let me see the results and the track the rocket actually
took. Maybe someday, way in the future, I’ll need to do this.

On 2015-06-15 11:46, R Dierking wrote:

This is an interesting problem, and a solution would help
many people. Really, what’s the use developing a
complex ‘splash’ analysis for a high alt flight if you
don’t even know what direction the rocket will be going
20’ off the ground! And, if you are off 5 degrees at that
point, it makes a lot of difference where your rocket is
going to be at +10K’.

hi Richard, not picking on you tonight, really :) Splash
analysis is a "monte carlo" simulation, many many flights with
all parameters varied, such as launch angle, wind speed and
direction, motor variability, etc. at the end you can say
with great statistical confidence that the rocket really will
fly and land somewhere on the splash chart.

Regards,
Tom Hanan

Privileged And Confidential Communication.
This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto,
(a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
(18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the
intended recipient named above. If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete
the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the contents of the information received in error is
strictly prohibited.

---