[roc-chat] Re: Launch Pads and Interest Posting for Construction of Large Launch Pad

  • From: Cliff Sojourner <cls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 13:56:54 -0700

Oh yeah. The FAA relies on TRA to analyze the class 3 flight proposals. So if
TRA is happy with your splash, everyone is happy.

Except the BLM concerning off playa recovery. Oops I kicked the hornets nest
there ;^)

On June 16, 2015 1:52:49 PM PDT, Cliff Sojourner <cls@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's a great question. High altitude flights go through 4 or 5
distinct layers of different wind direction and velocity. So it is
crucial to have good wind data in the simulations. It is available
these days but was hard to come by 10 years ago.

Rocksim pro has configuration for different layers of winds. But its
drag model is poor for supersonic flights. Oh well.

On June 16, 2015 10:38:39 AM PDT, R Dierking
<applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How does the analysis compare to results for the high altitude flights
at Black Rock? Is the FAA happy with the analysis or how good the
actual result fit the analysis?

I don’t want to get too far OT and I guess this is my fault for even
mentioning splash analysis and high alts when I think we should focus
on the <20K’ for now. Because the Punisher race started all this.

On 2015-06-15 11:46, R Dierking wrote:

This is an interesting problem, and a solution would help many people.

Really, what’s the use developing a complex ‘splash’ analysis for a
high alt flight if you don’t even know what direction the rocket will
be going 20’ off the ground! And, if you are off 5 degrees at that
point, it makes a lot of difference where your rocket is going to be
at
+10K’.

hi Richard, not picking on you tonight, really :) Splash analysis is
"monte carlo" simulation, many many flights with all parameters
varied,
such as launch angle, wind speed and direction, motor variability,
etc.
at the end you can say with great statistical confidence that the
rocket really will fly and land somewhere on the splash chart.