[roc-chat] Re: Falcon 9 kit

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:42:19 -0700

On 10/14/2012 12:36 PM, James Dougherty wrote:

The kit is definitively not an Estes kit. It is apparently done by/for SpaceX, but the box, parts, instructions, etc., are not 'Estes' type.

The parachutes are not pre-cut, nor are the shroud lines attached. The kit also has a (relatively pointless) baffle piece that is not found on Estes kits. The engine tube has 'laser' markings on it for the upper centering ring, and the clear acrylic fins also appear to be laser-cut. The body tube is thicker than an equivalent Estes tube, and has the markings pre-printed on the tube. It appears to be 'unique', but I'm not particularly surprised since SpaceX has a reputation for doing a lot of their stuff 'in house'.

BTW, the reason I say 'relatively pointless' baffle is that it is a single piece of cardboard with some holes in it. There are other baffles on the market that have two somewhat similar types of cardboard glued on to opposing ends of a coupler, but for all of those baffles the holes are offset so that there is no straight-through path for hot particles, just gases. In this case it just seems rather pointless -- the open holes still allow hot particles to go through, and do nothing whatsoever in terms of gas cooling - in fact, they probably just reduce the amount of gas that is immediately available for blowing out the parachute, and overpressurizing the area between the engine mount and the baffle..

David Erbas-White

I saw one at Hobby Lobby and it has an Estes label on it ... Maybe it's cross-branded (Space-X has a different box) ...

It was intriguing though since I did a double take -- i thought it might be a high power kit :-)