[retrochallenge] Re: Retrochallenge 2006?

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:49:21 -0500

Since the programmer's model of the machine is 32-bit, and the
addressing and bus width have negligible performance or capacity
impact in any "retro" era system, it is clearly a 32-bit system from
a software perspective--which I presume is the only relevant measure
in the Retrochallenge.

If I were drawing the line in 2006, I would draw it at no larger than
24-bit registers.  That would eliminate essentially all "modern"
architectures (which is the point, right?).

-michael

   The Atari TT-030 in 1991 and Atari Falcon in 1992 did 24 bit registers.  Be
a shame to knock those out.

   No matter that restrictions you add, my Atari 800 (from 1979) still
qualifies.  :D

   Greg