[retrochallenge] Re: Retrochallenge 2006?

  • From: "Goodwin, Greg P." <GoodwinG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:04:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: retrochallenge-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:retrochallenge-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of MJMahon@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 2:06 AM
To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [retrochallenge] Re: Retrochallenge 2006?

In a message dated 6/4/2006 6:59:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It may also make sense to make a qualifying computer an 8 or 16
bit personal computer.  I'm fairly certain that everyone who
participated last year used a 6502 or a 68000, so we would not lose
anyone.  We may also get 8 and 16-bit users who were discouraged
by the presence of 32-bit platforms.

From the programmer's point of view, a 68000 *is* a 32-bit system.

-michael

    I was thinking the same thing.  All Atari ST & Amiga's would be kicked out
at that point.

    I would have to say that would be more reasonable upper limit would be:

   * Nothing above a 68040 for a (Mac) or above 486 for a PC.

   I believe the 486 was the contemporary for to the Macs with the 68040, so
that would work.

   Me, as everyone might remember, I used an Atari 800 last year (and will
again).  The modifiers for using a computer of that age was awesome!  :)   No,
I was not a bit intimidated by the fact that newer computers were being used.

   GLAD EVERYONE WANTS TO DO IT AGAIN.  It was fun last year!

   My suggestions:

    1) This would be a lot more fun if we could report in at least every few
days on how things are going.  That would give this more of a race feel.  One
of us (I volunteer) can keep up with the scores of each person.

    2) Better prizes.  I had a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but after going
through a month of doing without my newer toys for a month only to win the
endurance contest to get in a online publication... that never happened?  That
was just lame.
       Bear in mind I am back and suggesting doing this challenge again, so I
am obviously not too mad about that, I just want the winner of this year to
walk away saying "Yeh, I won, and got X, Y, Z."

    We looking at the month of July again?