[retrochallenge] Re: Retrochallenge 2006?

  • From: "Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill" <byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 21:59:16 -0400

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 11:25:34AM +1000, David Shepherd wrote:
> I vote yes too. :D Sadly though due to uni odds are i may not be able to
> participate this year, but i'm going to try.

We can also try changing things around based upon our experiences
last year.  One comment that I heard last year was that it was too
tedious.  So here are my suggestions:

Maybe one creative challenge with an exhibition, rather than judging.
There would be one simple rule: it must be created entirely with
or entirely for a qualifying computer.

The endurance part can also be guided by one simple rule: you count
the number of days that you use qualifying computers exclusively.
(At least with respect to personal use.)

It may also make sense to make a qualifying computer an 8 or 16
bit personal computer.  I'm fairly certain that everyone who
participated last year used a 6502 or a 68000, so we would not lose
anyone.  We may also get 8 and 16-bit users who were discouraged
by the presence of 32-bit platforms.

But these are just my thoughts.
Byron.