[retrochallenge] Re: Reminder: the retrochallenge begins tomorrow ...

  • From: Michaël Juneau <micjuneau@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:50:34 -0400

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:41:23PM -0400, Michaël Juneau wrote:

so if person A makes a game that can run on a popular, easily emulated platform, it will get judged much more often. Person B, who makes a much better software on an obscure platform could lose simply because of the difficulty to run his stuff?

Unfortunately, that will probably be the case and I haven't quite figured out how to resolve it. Of consolation to those who are using less popular, older platforms, the multiplier may make up for it. Only time will tell. Of course, it won't help someone using something obscure and modern.

Anyhow, this is only the second year the challenge has been run
and it was the first time I wrote the rules, so there are bound to
be a few wrinkles uncovered to solve next year.

I propose we use the judging period in the beginning of August to let every would-be judge to help each other setup ALL the necessary emulators to run all that stuff (for all I know there might only be mac entries that require this, but we shall see), so that we can get some sort of fairness.

Otherwise, the results are pretty much dependant on the effectiveness of the advertisement on the creator's part, on the relative ease of emulating it. I'm still very interested into bringing new 'old' stuff and seeing every submission this contest gets. That's the primary goal for me. For all I know, the ranking is a secondary matter. But, if we can make it work, that'd be fun too.