[retrochallenge] Re: Reminder: the retrochallenge begins tomorrow ...

  • From: "Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill" <byron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: retrochallenge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:37:10 -0400

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:53:24PM -0700, Cory Wiegersma wrote:
> yess.... rulechanges! :D

Not this year.  The challenge has already started, so everything
is carved in stone.

> Mostly I'll list post-1990 processors that qualify, and then say that
> everything pre-'90 qualifies.

Warning, the rest is pretty Apple-centric.

Keep in mind that you need some sort of incentive for older computers.
That would be the multiplier in our case.  Even that has complications.
Recall that we switched from a date based to a processor based rule
because slower 68040 based Macs being excluded while some faster
68040 based Macs would qualify (eg. the LC 475 would be excluded,
and the Quadra 950 would qualify).  Well, you could not use a date
based multiplier either, because you will run into the same problem.
To give you an example: the 6502 based Apple IIc+ was introduced
over four years after the 68000 based Macintosh and at the same
time as the 68030 based IIx.

I know that you want a nice, simple set of rules.  Unfortunately,
it is also very difficult to write a nice, simple set of rules.
It is also difficult to exclude people outside of the Mac community
because there are not a sufficient number of participants from the
Mac community alone.  (Mac users have a tendancy to move up the
product line as time progresses, and newer models fall below a
certain price point.  While this means that we always have new
stuff to talk about and play with, it also means that 68040s are
passe.)

Byron.