[realmusicians] Re: find good optical drives for burning audio cds

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:19:12 -0500

Some of the older CD players would put out a really loud blast of white noise if I put a data CD in by mistake, but I never had it hurt the player, and the newer players are just silent when trying to play data . I notice that the Sony DVD players I use for my living room stereo will play .wav's , .wma's and mp3's as music when they come across them on a mixed media data DVD, but ignore .exe programs with no harm done..

Last time I went to a local stereo store there were no CD players that just played single CD's, all were juke boxes where you stack up some number of CD's, with 5 as the minimum.. I don't want background musac in my house, and like to put in a single CD and give it my full attention, then maybe select another, so I switched to Sony DVD players. They seem to sound better on CD's anyway, probably because they're set up for 24 bit DVD specs, thus exceed minimum CD requirements.
It requires a remote to run them, , but that's the way everything is now.
A remote with real buttons is still a huge step away from the touch screen, the next big challenge.
We'll probably get remotes with no buttons next, just touch screens.
Our car is a 99 model, with real knobs and buttons on the radio, and, believe it or not, folks, crank up windows!. I've been in cars with a single large screen on the dash instead of speedometer, fuel gauge, etcetera. If I touch somewhere trying to change the radio station or turn down the volume I might roll the back windows up and down, or turn on the AC, or who knows what. The latest trend is to put all the controls on the steering wheel, which is better for driving safety, maybe, but it makes the driver the sole dictator of what's playing and how loud it is. smile.
Indigo L

On 11/20/2011 1:19 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
haven't had the memorex external long enough to really evaluate it with
others, but so far disks it burns play mostly ok in my finicky old jam
box which is kind of my test cd player, if I'm going to have problems
with a disk, they'll fail in that one before other newer players.

The memorex is
ok so far, I've never owned a memorex drive and have heard good and bad
about them.

The tss corp samsung drives the sata ones have given me trouble with
audio cds, I get buffer under-run errors avoided messages from nero when
burning audio cds, but not any other data disks, so something about
those drives doesn't do well with audio cds.

Even so, those cds will play in most players, but enough won't work in
older players that I think it's a combination of burning too fast, and
maybe the drive doesn't do as well at the faster speeds as other drives
might since 16x is the standard now even for audio cd burning, it's hard
to find drives that go down to 8x, but if the liteons stil will, and the
lg I just got today is a winner, like you said, kind of flimsy tray, but
disks burned at 8x play beautifully and seek quickly in my junk cd
player with both tayo udyne disks and the cmc magnetic lightscribe disks
I've tried.

cmc magnetics now makes verbatim too.

One other cool thing about the lg burner it's sata too is that when it
varifies, the disk tray doesn't open, so it apparently can re-initialize
the drive without having to remount the cd.

It's a bit noisy, but I'll sacrifice a little noise for reliable burns
any time.

I really should probably take the memorex back,
but I'm really interested to see if disks can be burned at 16x which
will play reliably in those old players.

and I get no buffer under run errors avoided messages like i got with
the samsung tss corp burners.

I wonder if they've got a flash update for those drives, I've read there
are really only two different chipsets that are in most of these drives,
nec and the other I can't remember, but the lg drives have that I think.

We have a friend in our little group, he don't say much but we've worked
together a lot on this cd burning stuff, and he has a passion for that
sort of thing,
and he likes the lg burners.

so far, bar none, my plextor seems to be the best drive I've ever owned
that px716 will burn disks at 48x which will play in finicky old players,
and that's really something, but plextor does a lot of voodoo with
dynamic drive calibration, and all sorts of stuff that makes my head
spin when I read about it 'grin'.

Who ever invented this stuff are some really fart smellers, but they're
just humans so they didn't get it perfect.

But I'm going to nail this down, I can't stand the thought of shipping
out another order or someone showing up with backing tracks and not
being able to play them I know it's not my fault because no matter what
you do, some older players just won't play burned media, that's
confirmed even some newer dvd players, well, not now but as late as 2000
I had a dvd player which manual specifically said don't put burned media
in to it or it might damage it.

i did so anyway, and it will play them and hasn't seemed to hurt the
drive any.

Even under the best circumstances,
the reflectivity of
burned media is just enough different than pressed cds that early drives
just couldn't hack it sometimes.

but you can get damned close to 100 percent by getting the right
combination of media, burning drive, and speeds.

But it's kind of not an exact science, because some combinations of
media and drives work in one situation where another might work better
in a different situation.

and nobody agrees 100 percent on everything,
\
this stuff is talked about all over the place on different forums and I
think sometimes at a certain level, it's a crap shoot.

This is a finicky technology, like on my old player that is prone to be
finicky, will sometimes play perfectly disks that didn't play the day
before, so what changed?

I wonder if some disks freshly burned take a little while for the dye to
cure, maybe after a few days it becomes more reflective, the dye
definitely doesn't stay in a steady state, it can change according to a
lot of things,
fade over time, nobody knows yet how long these things will really last,
even with accelerated aging tests, it's just simulated with heat and
humidity, but that's not the real deal.

Some folks say cds are going out, but I think they'[re still important
for the same reason selling t-shirts, or posters, or anything like that,
grabbing a cd on the spot at a local event to see your favorite artist
isn't the same psychological effect as telling them go download it
someplace,
so I think a cd, or dvd, or something like that will be important for a
long time,
you know they tried putting these little flash card thingies in jam
boxes and it didn't go over very well, and yeh some new cars have
hard-drives in them,
and ipod ports and such, but the humble cd still seems to be popular, I
know all the cab drivers play them in the transit vehicles, and everyone
i ride with has a cd player in the car, some may have multi-format, but
cds are good for folks who aren't computer people,
and not everyone is, or some are, but are marginal in that they don't
utilize them for the stuff we do,
well, like my clients, they may have a laptop, but not know a thing
about burning or such, that's my job 'grin'.

I'm seeing more and more places, well like graphic audio offering box
sets oftheir books and such on mp3 cds, which is a good thing, because i
trust any of these drives more for data burning because there's that
extra level of error correction, you don't have on an audio cd.

And mp3 cds or data cds with lossless say flac or some such, i don't
think any of the multi-format drives read flac but most will do mp3 and
some wma, and those drives don't give problems like the older audio
players only units, even the cheap ones.

Hey, speaking of different ways to do things, one of our clients wants
to carry her backing tracks for nathan the guy I'm doing an album for on
her laptop.

I suggested an external usb sound card as a better option than the
onboard one to go to a pa, but we really probably
need several i/o choices because you never know what they might run in to.

I've heard of direct boxes and seen some advertised for getting signal
from a mini 3.5, not a very good connection and prone to noise and
ground loops, laptops are notorious for hum and buzz when connected to
other electronics, but an isolating transformer direct box of some type
might be the ticket, or an appropriate external sound card, but even a
usb one can exhibit ground loop problems depending on what they're
dealing with and some of these old churches and stuff, well, you know
how it goes.

so any ideas I can give to robin and nathan that won't break the bank?

If she's at the board she could simply use a mini trs to rca and go in
the tape inputs,
if they let her do that, or if she has to feed down a mic cable from the
state, then she'll need the direct box.

One way to completely elinimate grounding problems of course is to have
the laptop running on batteries and have a good charge and extra
batterys on hand so as to not have to share mains power with the
building if she's doing the split y thing at the board.

we're having thanksgiving with them so I have time to thinnk about it
and talk about it when we go over there.

I want to help them, they've been really good customers and friends and
this is the second album they've done with me.

This album is going to be even better than the last, we're
over half way through it.

At 10:42 PM 11/19/2011, you wrote:
Well I just had a few computers for repairing in the shop, and the drives
were all bad; kept getting blu screens during windows installs, the
copying
would take forever etc. When I went to look, all drives had 1 thing in
common, they were memorex! Not sure on the quality (never really
bought one
myself) but it seems they aren't as good.
How has your's worked out?
I replaced those with tss or lite-ons, and problems gone. BTW, it
seems the
newer sata tss drives are the ones with probs, probably a bad chipset
choice
or something; I've got a few of the older IDE ones (from 2007) and
they are
marvelous!

HTH, D!J!X!