[realmusicians] Re: find good optical drives for burning audio cds

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:12:47 -0500

Hey Chris, Until not so long ago, I've had good work with toshiba/samsung
(tss corp), but they've been putting out some weird stuff lately.
My personal drive choice is lite-ons for now.
Sony's are loud, and lg's have tray issues sometimes.

Now when you say lower than 16x, do you mean for writing discs?  It could be
the software you're using,  with IMGBurn, I can lower it to whatever, and
the discs write at that speed. My lite-ons here at least write at 8x.
I burn discs for a variety of applications, and I've never heard of issues
with them; I use Verbatim cd's and dvd's for work though.
Most systems I've built to this day use lite-on, some others use samsung,
and none of the lite-on users have complained about their drives on their
systems; these are computers from your basic home rig, office machines,
gaming tower, daws and servers.
I used a Sony once, it was loud, but good; but you have to pick and choose
wisely. Some are good at reading, but suck at wriing, others are the
opposite; laser pint technology is out there, these drives just haven't
implemented it well.
Chipsets do matter, there are a few made by NEC that are supposedly king of
the hill, have to look them up, but I think lite-on uses them often.

HTH, D!J!X!