[realmusicians] Re: de fragging on an ssd

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 23:38:50 -0600

What happens to a ssd is that it doesn't die like a regular drive does but the cells wear out and your drive becomes smaller and smaller.

No sense in writing to it more than you have too.

I'm going to get an ssd one of these days, but I don't want one of these junky hybrids, basically a glorified thumb-drive, I want the good stuff and that's expensive.

When the single layer stuff gets down below 8 bills and closer to 3 or 4 maybe then 'grin'.

I guess till then I'll just have to put up with these ancient sata drives that only let me do 100 tracks and i have to wait a whole 30 seconds for windows to boot.

I feel so deprived 'grin'.

At 08:04 PM 11/26/2011, you wrote:
Hi ;folks,
Have been checking out defrag and fiddling with it, as you do.

But apparently there's no point on applying de frag to an ssd as it doesn't have those access time issues of scattered data that a sata disk would do?

Anyone comment on this?

And does win7 have some sort of background defrag happening? So can this be turned off all together as it would be of no use for my ssd c drive.

Apparently defrag a ssd drive can shorten it's life. Probably not by much but hey?

Ross.

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx