[realmusicians] Re: Guitar talk.

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:41:45 -0600

So, what did you end up ordering?

At 04:09 AM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Well, be it that I want to play finger style pretty much everything about it is closer to classical. While I decided not to go with nylon strings, the guitar I've got coming is a finger style guitar with the wider neck for that little extra spacing between strings to give your fingers room to work. And it comes with ultra light strings to again make it more workable with finger style. So I'll lean more toward what classical guitarists have to say due to the similarities; e.g. working all 5 fingers on the right hand independently. I just marvel when I hear one person playing one guitar and they're able to put out a bass line, rhythm accompaniment, and the melody to boot. Yeah, I'm probably a big dreamer, but what the heck. I might as well go for the gold. Heh! At least a finger style guitar gives you the option to fall back to picking if you want. It ain't so easy the other way around.

Tom

On 12/20/2011 3:51 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Yes, well, classical technique is always a good place to start.

wish I'd paid more attention when my piano teacher was tryin to pound
scales in to my rebellious un-interested head when I was a young bratt
'grin'.

Well, you know big egos and guitar players, I bet it's well, I know it's
the same thing with programming, or horse racing, or anything, that
pretends to be a science or technical, there's a world of options and
ways to do things, and sifting through what works and what is non-sense
is tricky sometimes.

Classical guitar is unique in that the strings are much further apart,
and the neck is wider.

YOu don't do as much bending on nylon strings as they just don't stretch
as much.

Notice Willie Nelson doing those half bends on that cat-gut guitar he
bangs on all the time, but it works for Willie.

Your technically not supposed to use a pick on a classical guitar
anyway, but folks do for different effects.

Kind of like me using a felt pick on a bass to kind of get that finger
sound when I need to play fast runs because my bass playing is typical
of a guitar player who picks up a bass, I've learned not to over-play,
but the technique is different.

YOu get a more round, warm tone with fingers on guitar or bass, but
without a pick, you can't get those yummy rhythm tracks I was talking
about in the last email.

But those great finger players, are amazing,
Chet,
and all his clan, doyle dykes is someone to check out, a texas boy who
makes sparks come off the guitar.

I do ok with finger style though it's not my strong suite, but have
never mastered using finger picks, the kind you put on to finger play
but get a louder brighter sound.

Growing your fingernails out is a good compromise, but if you ever get a
split nail, your kind of screwed.

Finger style is beautiful though, I kind of like to do a hybrid
sometimes where I hold the pick but use my middle finger and ring finger
and pinkie to do some finger work.

That way I can strum and pick both, and them some guitar players only
use a thumb pick instead of a traditional flat pick, and can play
blazing runs that way.

Ah, the guitar world is a vast universe.

At 01:34 AM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Hey Chris,

Yeah, like I said, what a mind blowing experience it was to feel the
difference in that guitar after it was set up. I couldn't believe it
had turned that gorilla into a sweet little chimp. Maybe it will get
my nephew playing again when I give it back to him.

Oh, I know pretty much anything goes as far as how we play. I just
want to make sure I don't get started with bad left hand positioning.
I dealt with carpel tunnel for about 18 months many years ago and it
wasn't fun. But luckily, when I finally figured out what was causing
it; something that I can't for the life of me remember now, just
making one change cleared it up and I've never felt it again. I
understand now that the left hand technique varies widely from
guitarist to guitarist. It's just funny how every single contradictory
YouTube video I've seen on it has someone explaining in elaborate
detail why their way is the absolutely indisputable one and only right
way. Although I did find an interesting one yesterday from some
internationally renowned classical guitarist explaining hand technique
and it really made the most sense of all. Like so many things, it just
made perfect sense after she explained it. And while in some ways she
was saying the same thing some of the other folks were, she just made
it so obvious with such simple examples I couldn't help but say, yeah,
that's it. I get it. It was all about simply maintaining as natural a
hand position as possible. And I'm sure these classical folks have
studied the begeebers out of it. So that's good.

Thanks for your offer to help. I really appreciate it. Sure, we'll
hook up when things calm down after the holidays. And I'll have a
little better grasp on what I'm doing by then too.

Oh, and your explanation about capos makes sense now that I hear it in
practical terms. But I've got a few weeks to go before I'll be playing
Hotel California anyway. Ha!

Thanks again,
Tom

On 12/19/2011 8:38 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
hey Tom,

yes, you discovered that getting your guitar set-up, at least the first
time, is very important.

YOu don't necessarily have to do it every year, but you'll know if
things atart to drift.

YOu know, there are so many different ways of playing the guitar, you
know Jeff heely played it in his lap laid down.

YOu know, if it works, at least to some extent, it's right.

but a good guitar instructor can show you the basics and you can modify
from there.

there is no really wrong way to play the guitar, every which way your
fings can go and are possible to go can make a chord and you can bet
somebody has used it.

Everything from plane jane chording to putting the thumb over the top of
the neck wrapping your hand around and catching that last note that way,
or using your right hand to tap harmonics like eddy van halen on the
song spanish fly,
I'm sure you've heard that, amazing what he did with a classical guitar,
anything you can imagine being done with a guitar has probably been
done.

and to quote your old saying, if it sounds good, it is good.

I think though that your thoughts of getting a good local instructor are
a wise move.

Maybe I can call you on the phone and help you a bit too.

Let me get past the christmas stuff 'grin'.

At 04:37 AM 12/19/2011, you wrote:
Hey folks,

Here's a little report on my guitar adventure and a couple of
questions.

I've been doing endless research on the web for weeks now trying to
have at least some idea of what I'm talking about when it comes to
guitars. And like every instrument, there's a heck of a lot more to it
than we think. Although, sheesh, you'd think I would have learned this
by now. Oh well. It's been a very interesting adventure.

Next I borrowed my nephew's guitar to give it a shot. He hasn't played
it in years. So, just like the last time I did the same I decided
after only a few days that it was simply too cruel and inhumane
punishment and couldn't imagine how guitarists do it. And yes, I knew
it should be set up, but not knowing any more than the concept of the
process, which made perfect sense, I couldn't imagine it making any
real difference on such a guitar gorilla. I think it's an Ibanez, but
I keep forgetting to ask.

So, before I gave up again I said, what the heck, and brought it in to
be set up. I got it back yesterday. All I can say is, holy guitar
tech, batman! It felt like they gave me a new guitar. The difference
was absolutely mind blowing. Heck, by last night I was whamming
through a chord progression, doing quick mutes, and even tossing in a
body slap here and there. I couldn't believe it. And my fingers aren't
even sore. I can feel that I've been playing, but I wouldn't call it
pain. And previous to this setup it was literally impossible for me to
play one chord. It took every last ounce of strength I had in my left
hand just to get one out of a dozen attempts to kind of, almost,
vaguely sound like some kind of a mangled chord. And after that long 5
or 10 minute session I had to quit because my fingers were screaming
so loud I couldn't even hear what I was trying to do. So I'm
completely sold on annual setups. And most importantly, I finally have
some real inspiration to play the guitar.

In practical terms, yesterday was my first real day on the guitar. So
if I can get a chord progression going in one day I think I should be
able to enjoy the guitar, which is what's most important to me. So,
needless to say, I'm pumped about it.

Okay, and now for the questions.
Right now my main focus is on chord fingering. Of course coming from
the piano on which we have a linear playing surface wherein we can
play the 3 inversions of any chord from top to bottom through out the
entire range of the instrument with nothing more than rotating finger
positions, the guitar neck is more abstract to me. But I assume
there's got to be some logic to it other than memorizing a thousand
specific fingerings. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos, and in one
of them the guy referred to the most basic chords by a specific name,
which I don't remember now. And I'm not talking about major, minor,
sevenths, etc. This was specific to the fret fingering and I assume
neck position on the guitar. I know how to figure out most chords, but
don't see any logic on how to apply it to the guitar. Of course the
range you want to play in as well as preventing your left hand fingers
from getting tied up into nasty bundles of knots are obvious. But I'm
assuming there's more to go on than that and a trial and error method.

I've spent the last couple hours googling blind accessible guitar
chord charts and just guitar chord charts, and all I got was a bunch
of tab sheets for songs with blind in the title, a bunch of stuff from
a band with blind in the name, and a ton of purely visual chord charts.

So I'm wondering if anyone has or knows where to get a readable chord
note/fingering chart. And I'd also be interested in any links to
accessible tab sheets.

And just as a final note, boy, there seems to be quite a few really
good guitar lessons available on DVD now. But it's hard to tell if
they're too tied to the video. Although I must say, I've been pretty
impressed at how many folks posting YouTube videos realize that just
watching someone play isn't going to do much of anything even for a
sighted person. So while they use the cameras as an adjunct to the
lesson, they still explain in detail exactly what they're doing with
every finger, fret, and string. But of course these are just a pile of
little snippets. And conversely, I can't believe how many YouTube
videos that say: learn how to play insert song name here, are
absolutely nothing but a video of someone playing the tune. Not a
single word is spoken. I figure these folks just want to watch
themselves.

My biggest concern at this point is to get my left hand positioned
correctly. I know how easy it is for a beginner to make things work in
the wrong way when they're just learning the basics. But then it
becomes a very painful reality check when they get to the next level
and realize that their incorrect hand position makes getting there
impossible, so they have to start all over again and go through the
difficult process of trying to break a bad habit and learn a new one.
I'm actually considering trying to find a true professional
instructor, which usually isn't easy, just to get me started and
mainly to watch my every move and make sure that every physical aspect
of me and the guitar is correct. I believe this is one of the most
important aspects of playing an instrument that is most often unknown,
overlooked, or simply ignored because we don't think it's that
important.

Okay. Enough babbling for now. Thanks for listening.

Tomster the bombster, guitarist extraordinaire! Heh!

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx