[realmusicians] Re: Guitar talk.

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:02:32 -0500

Thanks Ross,

Bear in mind I'm an absolute beginner. So while I've picked up little bits and pieces on bar chords I've got a ways to go before I even tackle that aspect of playing. And another important element is that I want to play finger style. So that alone narrows down the resources available considerably.

And yeah, I hear what you're saying about the use of a capo. It would mess with my head too. At least I think so. So I'm going to try to avoid it until I find no other way out.

Regards,
Tom

On 12/19/2011 6:34 AM, Ross McGregor wrote:
Hey Tom,
Good luck with your guitaring. Yes I dabble a bit with guitar but an not
really interested in it, as keys is my thing. But I play rhythm with the
idea of paps backing myself one day performing my own songs. I classify
myself as a party guitarist. Am able to accompany peeps around the camp
fire.

But yes I understand that thing totally about the guitar action and it
wrecking your fingers. Is important to have a nice instrument.

Fingering, at the risk of stating the obvious, the basic fingering is the
bar chord, where you lay your first finger across the neck. You then use
your other 3 fingers in various combos to make various inversions of that
chord or related chords.

And of course some guitarists use kapos to change the key of those same
fingerings.

So kapoing is a easy way to simply learn a bunch of chords then just kapo
to whatever key you want.

I can't use kapo though, as it throws me when I know I'm playing a c chord
but am hearing an e flat. Same thing, I can't use transpose buttons on a
keyboard.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Ross.