[real-eyes] new app for finding zeebra stripes crossings. and handy hams chalange.

  • From: "jose" <crunch1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "real eyes list" <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:55:31 -0500

Hi just got my  weekly handy hams news letter  just passing along  2 things
we might find of interest on the list.

We are headed into our end-of-summer good read, but first...

Help us win the Dr. Dave Challenge!
Thanks to everyone who has helped us with donations to the Dr. Dave
Challenge so far.  Thanks to Tom, K4ZBC, for your support.
Money is tight these days and we desperately need your support.  Now, thanks
to a generous challenge grant by Dr. Dave Justis, KN0S, we have a chance to
help fill the budget gap.  Dr. Dave will donate $5,000 to the Handiham
System if we can raise a matching amount.  That means we need to really put
the fund-raising into high gear!  If you can help, designate a donation to
Handihams, stating that it is for the "Dr. Dave Challenge".  We will keep
you posted in our weekly e-letter as to the progress of the fund.

Nancy can take credit card donations via the toll-free number,
1-866-426-3442, or accept checks sent to our Courage Center Handiham
address:

Courage Handiham System
3915 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN  55422

Be sure to put a note saying "Dr. Dave Challenge" somewhere in the envelope
or on the note line of the check.  If you donate online as detailed toward
the end of your weekly e-letter, be sure to designate to Handihams and then
send me an email letting me know you donated to the Dr. Dave fund:
wa0tda@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you so much for your support!

Letters

Mike, KJ6CBW, writes:

Maybe an ATOM would be useful for

Zebra crossing app

Hey, maybe Twitter is good for something after all!  I checked my Twitter
feed and saw a post by New Scientist magazine that reported a new iPhone app
designed to use the VoiceOver® screenreading in the iPhone in conjunction
with the built-in camera to recognize "zebra crossings".  The idea is to
help blind pedestrians find safe places to cross the street.  Now, because I
have already reminded myself earlier in this edition about assuming that our
readers and listeners know what I'm talking about, I'd better explain that a
"zebra crossing" is not a place for wildlife (actual zebras) to cross the
road.  It is a crosswalk painted in horizontal stripes that run parallel to
the roadway.  The white stripes stand out on the black pavement, hence the
name "zebra crossing".  Anyway, the zebra crossing app recognizes these
distinctive striped crossings and can alert the blind iPhone user to the
location of the crosswalk.  Zebra crossings are not used everywhere, but
they are quite common in many parts of the world. You can read the New
Scientist article on line and decide for yourself if you want to check out
the app:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/09/zebra-crossing-app.html

Late Summer Reading: Becoming a Ham

Becoming a Ham - Part