[ratpack] Re: Insomnia can be fun...I think

  • From: "Larry Knight" <Larry.Knight@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:05:48 -0700

Since you brought up grainy, I thought I would share my grainy weekend.
I went to a basketball game to shoot one of my neighbor's daughter, who
is a cheerleader for Jordan High, cute girl, not very photogenic though.
I had to set my camera on auto and 3200 iso, and let the grain begin. I
set it at higher iso settings (Nikon changes from a number to HI1 or
something after 3200 iso) and I could tell on the LCD that they were
quickly turning to junk!!!! While I was thus shooting,  another neighbor
asked if I would shoot one of the Jordan b-ball players, since her
daughter was dating him. That's when the real blurriness came into play.
When I got home, I was very disappointed with the results. The b-ball
player was very blurry and grainy, the cheerleader was grainy and
blurry. My lens sucks for indoor action, at least when it is out of
reach of a flash. Indoor sports photographers must all have $25,000
lenses with 1.4 aperture. Now I have tried to shoot my kids basketball
games and been disappointed by that before, but the gyms my kids play in
are a little dark and drab, this one was really lit up well. I got a lot
of orange from the floor too, which was a little strange. All in all
very disappointing results.

Anyone else have the same experience in a gym?

Larr