[raspberry-vi] Cepstral voices on a Pi?

  • From: "Agent Orange" <agentorange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <raspberry-vi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:33:03 -0000

Hi List,

Someone I know is trying to get a Pi to talk.  Not necessarily a full
function screen reader, but to convert text to speech for a specific
application.  Espeak would have been the best option, but as that doesn't
seem to be flying right now, they have asked me  whether I have any thoughts
about using Cepstral voices on a Pi:

www.cepstral.com

I don't think I have ever come across these and certainly not in the context
of a Pi.  Having just spent a few minutes on the site, my first thought is
that this appears to be a commercial product so is likely to cost.  Putting
cost to one side, I'm not sure how easy it may be to get these voices
working on the limited hardware provided by a Pi.

Any thoughts?

Phil

Raspberry Pi and the Raspberry Pi logo are trademarks of the Raspberry Pi
Foundation.

This list is not affiliated to the Raspberry Pi Foundation and the views and
attitudes expressed by the subscribers to this list do not reflect those of the
Foundation.

Mike Ray, list creator, January 2013