[radioastro] Goddard Space Flight Center Delivers Magnetometers for Juno Mission

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Marco Nicolini <heygio@xxxxxxxx>, Juan Fernando Tonatiuh Hernández Escobar <cecilixz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Hughes <PHughes@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Fields <fieldsde@xxxxxxx>, Steve McCauley <esmac@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Typinski <davetyp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Whitham D. Reeve" <whitreeve@xxxxxxxxx>, Terrence Flower <tfflower@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Thieman <james.r.thieman@xxxxxxxx>, Divyadarshan Purohit <divyadarshan63@xxxxxxxxx>, Ramón Menéndez-Manjón <ramon.ramon.astronomers@xxxxxxxxx>, Tushar Sharma <sharma.tushar17@xxxxxxxxx>, "military.radioman" <samhevener@xxxxxxxxx>, Myamiphil <myamiphil@xxxxxxxxx>, danny garvin <grailknight_2@xxxxxxxxx>, Alfonso CastilloAbrego <cendap@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Avellone <JGAVELLONE@xxxxxxx>, Arturo Garcia Cole <cole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dalila Martinez <dmarti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, FRANCISCO BERSUNSES <siriober@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Arnold <steve_arnold@xxxxxxxxxx>, Sajjad Mahdizadeh <sajjadea@xxxxxxxxx>, James H Van Prooyen <grro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cristian Leon Irribarra <celeon2@xxxxxxxxx>, "Karen & Jim Carson" <kjcarson@xxxxxxxxx>, Pablo Gonzalez <pablomgonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Clint Jeffrey <clintonjeffrey1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Wanda Diaz <wanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Rudolph <mrudolph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sead Kulenov <skulenov@xxxxxxxxx>, Neil Maron <neil.maron@xxxxxxxxx>, Wesley Greenman <greenman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Sky <radiosky@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Salvador Aguirre <drsaguirre@xxxxxxxxx>, Abebe Kebede <abkebede@xxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wright <ducksuit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kibrom Yeibyo <kibromyeibyo@xxxxxxxxx>, Richard Flagg <rf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, _gloom_ gloom <_gloom_@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:59:50 -0700

Goddard Space Flight Center Delivers Magnetometers for Juno Mission

Hello Radio Astronomers,

Goddard has delivered two vector magnetometers to Lockheed Martin in Denver
Colorado:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-352

Each magnetometer has two non-magnetic star cameras to measure precise
orientation.

Launch is scheduled for August 2011, with arrival in 2016.

I asked 3 questions to Preston Dyches, Juno Public Outreach Coordinator at
Jet Propulsion Laboratory (many thanks !). Bill Kurth heads the Juno WAVES
investigation and provided the following answers:

Will Juno WAVES operate at all during the voyage to Jupiter, from 2011 to
2016 ?
>> Yes, but the current plan is for science instruments to only be on for
short intervals (days) as little as once per year.  The purpose for these
operations are for instrument calibrations and health and safety and not for
science.  There will be an approach phase with science beginning a number of
months prior to Jupiter orbit insertion.  I believe the baseline for this
phase is ~6 months.  Of course, if constraints allow, Waves would certainly
like to be on during more of the cruise, provided this is safe.

In what frequency bands?
>> Waves covers the range from 50 Hz to ~40 MHz.

Once in orbit, will the Juno WAVES data be made public, with little delay?
>> The project data management plan calls for data (from all instruments) to
be released to the Planetary Data System approximately every 3 months, with
the data in each release being approximately 3-6 months old.  This allows
the teams to calibrate and validate the data. The data will then be
available through the Planetary Data System.  Of course, discoveries and
other science results will be released to the public as news releases, web
releases, etc. on a more rapid basis.

Blog entries:
http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/2010/07/juno-armored-up-to-go-to-jupiter.html
http://herrero-radio-astronomy.blogspot.com/2010/04/juno-assembly-started-april-2010.html