[racktables-users] Re: survey: barcodes versus asset tags

  • From: "Michael Mansour" <mic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:52:39 +1100

Hi Denis,

> Hello, list.
>
> There are two columns for each object: "asset tag" and "barcode". There
> is also a story behind them. Long time ago the initial
> implementation of RackTables had to serve a hardware base, which was
> accounted by two independent systems at once (don't ask me, why).
> One system used labels without a barcode, and another --- labels
> with barcode. So at that time I added two fixed columns into SQL
> table and that did the trick. Later it became obvious, that
> enterprises normally employ only one asset accounting systems, but
> the columns were already there, and user's data also was. So I left
> things as was.
>
> Now I consider dismissing the "barcode" column in favor of "asset
> tag" this year. There are ways to handle existing data:
>
> 1. Append the contents of "barcode" to "asset tag".
>
> 2. Create an optional "barcode" attribute and move the "barcode"
> fixed column data there.
> 3. Something else, perhaps.
>
> To make the right decision, it is necessary to know, how you,
> RackTables users, use these columns. Could you choose, which answer
> describes your case best?
>
> - I don't store values in either "barcode" or "asset tag" columns
> - I store 1 value in "barcode" column only
> - I store 1 value in "asset tag" column only

1 value (the serial number) is stored in the asset tag column.

> - I store values in both "barcode" and "asset tag" columns, they are
>   different
> - I always store the same value in both "barcode" and "asset tag"
>   columns

I'd like to barcode servers / devices but it's unlikely to do so when about
30% of the gear is co-located servers/devices which we only manage and don't
own.

So the Asset tag (containing the serial number) is the only thing I can see us
ever using.

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------