[racktables-users] Trying to understand how users work

  • From: James Geiger <jpgeiger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:32:42 -0400

I have been reading through the posts about user IDs and permissions
and don't quite understand how they work.

To add a user I understand.  I go to  Main page : Configuration :
Local users and I enter the name and the password.

What I am unsure of is the whole permissions part of the tool.  How
does it work?

On the Permissions section of the wiki:
http://wiki.racktables.org/index.php/RackTablesAdminGuide#Permission_configuration_examples

It has a simple example of adding a power user:

Admin and power user

allow {$userid_1}
allow {$username_jack}

How does that mean jack is a power user?  What makes the difference or
what is a power user?

I have seen other examples from posts about adding read only users:

Allow {$username_user} and {$tab_default}

How does that mean the user is a read only?

Does each line signify a new user permission?