[racktables-users] Re: Searching for objects by common name

  • From: Gjermund Jensvoll <gjerjens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:19:41 +0200

On 2012-07-19 14:00, Frank Altpeter wrote:
FQDN means "FULLY qualified domain name" which means that this field
should not contain just "www". And an FQDN is usually uniqe, so typing
in an FQDN in the search box should indeed directly go to that named
object.
The problem is that I have FQDNs in my IP addresses too! So if I search
for www.subdomain1.example.com, I don't necessarily want the server
attached to it. Sometimes I want the IP address, so I can view the whole
subnet.

Attached is a patch to disable the instant FQDN search result. This works
against 0.19.11, and probably anything later.

The right thing to do is do a check against a configuration variable
first, and THEN decide to return or not.

Denis, et al: if I write a patch including a configuration variable for
this, would you be interested?

Regards,
Tyler

- -- "All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means,
do not use a hammer."
    -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)

Yes, IP adresses is indeed another example of how annoying this is.

It would be great to have a configuration variable for this, and I'd probably use this to disable the feature . ;)

I prefer to get a list of whatever matches my search, rather then going directly to the best match based on the content of one field. It is so because I often do a search with the intent of actually getting a list. :) I don't mind going directly to something if my search only returns one result. For instance when searching for an asset tag (which of course should be unique), I expect to only get one match.

Oh, and thanks a bunch for the patch Tyler! :)

Gjermund