[racattack] Oracle 12c DB media @ RAC Attack OOW 2013

  • From: Yury Velikanov <velikanovs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:33:05 +1000

Hello Folks,

Short OOW update: We have agreed with OTN folks that they will accommodate
our activities at OTN Lounge in the lobby of Moscone South on 24th and 25th
10am – 2pm (4 hours). OTN will provide a table, while board, etc.

Talking about *DB media challenge*. At the moment we are considering
different options on how to resolve legal's limitations on Oracle 12c DB
software distribution (legally we can't give a copy of the SW to RAC Attack
participants).

There are several options including:
-- Use OOW Wifi to download the SW directly to participants laptops (may be
slow)
-- Provide external HDDs with the SW but at the end of  the implementation
take  the HDDs back. All implementation to be done on the external HDDs
(implementation may be slow)
-- We discussing other options with our friends at Oracle at the moment.

I have an idea for a *plan B*: We have a challenge with Oracle DB SW only.
The VBOX and Oracle Linux copies can be distributed with no limitations
(well GNU limitations). Therefore in worse case scenario we can help
participants to prepare the infrastructure (up until the Oracle DB SW
install) and let them complete the installation after Oracle DB SW is
downloaded.
-- If we will have a good WiFi at OTN then they may be able to download the
DB SW by the time we complete the infrastructure setup
-- If the connection isn't that fast we ask to download it before (in
advance) or after the RAC Attack (complete it at home).

I think this would add a good value to the community anyway as the VBOX and
infrastructure setup take ~3/4 of all efforts and all the tricks are
implemented during that part (shared disks, DNS, interconnect etc).

SUMMARY: We will have a good event and a lot of fun at OOW even if we
wouldn't we able to resolve the Oracle DB sw media challenge :)

Best Regards,

Yury Velikanov
Oracle ACE Director & Team Technical Lead

NOTE If *YOU* *or* any of *YOUR* *team*'s members participate in Oracle
OpenWorld 2013 conference please please reach me. I *would love* to *MEET UP
*.

Pythian - Love your data

velikanovs@xxxxxxxxxxx | Twitter: @yvelik <https://twitter.com/yvelik> |
Linkedin <http://au.linkedin.com/in/yuryvelikanov>