[python] Re: some thoughts

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:02:55 -0700

Hello Jürgen,

At 09:09 AM 10/1/2005, you wrote:
- the python feels stable as long as the front wheel is driven

- and when both feet are pressed against the pedals, as when coasting - and when there is rear braking

- more weight on the rear part enhances the coasting abilites

meaning low rider weight distribution, I presume; I found that a lot of weight above the rear tire caused weird flexing in the long python frame

And now some conclusions:
- this effect increases (linearly?) with the coasting speed
- NT destabilizing effect can be damped by the riders skill

I think the net effect is non linear, as the rider is part of the equation. Most (I, at least) can only compensate up to a point - my stabilizing ability is non-linear

So how to improve the performance?
- try to move weight from the front part to the rear

which seems to mainly mean shorter wheelbase and rider close to the rear tire, but there again, short WB means quicker response

I'm really interested in hearing from riders who use a damper, it seems that I saw 2(?)
A center-stabilizing spring-type-thing has also been discussed.

I also had a thought of a "C" shaped pivot which would virtualize the pivot axis. Really a 3 layer C sandwich; the rear of the front tire would fit inside the "C" and the front frame is attach to the center "C". The rear frame attaches to the upper&lower "C" pieces. Maybe 2 thinner sets spaced apart for stiffness. A similar idea to the horseshoe bearing used on some large telescopes which allows the tube to swing through. <see rough geometry sketch>
The performance cost is that the maximum turn angle would be ~45deg., and the pivot is no longer under the hips. This is the bigger issue as has been pointed out before, I think.

Sorry about your weather...
Ray