[python] some thoughts

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:09:54 +0200

Hi all pythonauts and wannabes,

weather is bad in these days. Good opportunity to contemplate
about python steering geometry ;-)

Now that we have around 10 experienced python riders here
in this list, maybe we can enlarge the knowledge base about
this unusual project.
Looking forward to your opinions!

First some of my observations:

- the python feels stable as long as the front wheel is driven
- coasting is easy upto 20 km/h for beginners
- coasting is ok upto 40 km/h for more experienced riders
- coasting upto 55 km/h is possible for skilled riders
- more weight on the rear part enhances the coasting abilites

And now some conclusions:

- python steering geometry is different from normal bikes
- main differences are the negative trail and self-centering effect
- negative trail (NT) is a destabilizing effect while coasting
- this effect increases (linearly?) with the coasting speed
- NT is neutralized upto a particular speed by the self-centering effect
- NT destabilizing effect can be damped by the riders skill

So how to improve the performance?

- improve your riding experience ;-)
- practice high speed downhill coasting
- try to move weight from the front part to the rear
- evaluate the perfect steering pivot angle

The last point of course is the most tricky one. In fact a lot of gifted list members have twisted their brains with this.

I think the calculation of the "sweet spot" for the pivot angle
is dependant of various factors.
The self-centering force should be as strong as possible whereas
the negative trail should be kept small. Also important is the
weight distribution between front and rear part.

In practice the pivot angle will be somewhere between
60 and 70 degrees but the perfect angle needs specific
evaluation for each individual prototype.