[python] Re: no weld python

  • From: Kevin Bailey <ke-python@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:06:49 -0700

I see a lot of posts where people say they can't afford welding
equipment. To throw out another idea, I use an inexpensive
brazing set-up and am very happy with the results. I use the
Bernzomatic MAPP/oxygen kit which I think I got for $35.

Its true that you'll probably have to buy multiple oxygen tanks.
I think I've gone through 4 at about $6 each to make a bunch of
practice pieces, a custom handlebar, and most of a couple
children trikes. But I'm still on the original MAPP tank.

The strength of the pieces are phenomenal if you make sure to
fill all the way around the joint in sufficient quantities. For
my first piece, to see how strong the stuff was, I made
something that's best described as a one sided ladder. I can
stand on the end of a one foot post sticking horizontally from a
post that its brazed to. The post would bend before the braze
failed. None of my other pieces have failed either.

The hard part of brazing/welding/whatever is not the fire.
Its the measuring, cutting, fitting, filing, cleaning, etc.
Don't let the fire put you off. That's the fun part. :)
Oh, and riding.

Cheers