[python] making a jig -- again

  • From: Dirk Bonne <dirk_bonne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:58:09 +0200

Hi people,

I am thinkering over a quite complicated construction and wanted to make
a jig out of wood. The preliminary design can be viewed at (its still
changing):

    http://dirkb.dnsalias.net/python2.html

(hopefully this is going to be my "python final").

Jigs are a continuing problem for me, so here is my next try:

I thought of taking a flat board (MDF maybe?) and have it in the middle
as a kind of symmetry plane. The plane would extend over the whole bike.
Only where the pivot is there would be a hole to accomodate it. Note,
using the above design I would have about 40mm of place for a "jig in
the middle".

I had planned to drill holes into the board for the front axle, rear
axle, and all the other cross tubing. After welding everything, the
booard is to be destroyed.

Is it a good idea to use a middle plane at all?

Is MDF a good idea for jig material? Or should I take some other wood? I
am an absolute newbie ---wood is something that grows somewhere outside
of town, and is spilling leaves all over (I'm going to have a close look
again, right after sending this mail ;-).

The drill at the shop is a rather sturdy and old machine. Probably it
used to be a very good quality thing, but now, it does not drill
straight (not perpendiculum). I have seen there are two nuts (a big one
and a very small one (key 8) under the platform. This drill is not mine,
so I should know what I do before I mess with it. Is there some method
to align the drill?

In addition I believe there is also a lot of tolerance in the bearings
of the drill. Is it common to replace them? And in fact, is the
tolerance important at all, could I compensate with a drilling high speed?

Or is there some other tool I can use (i.e. buy), to drill holes? I was
thinking maybe a hand "router" (=fräser), would that be able to drill
holes perfectly?

Dirk